Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Most Rewarding Experience.

This is Adriana Jackson blogging about my experience in Tijuana with Esperanza International.

It's been about a week since we've returned from Tijuana and I miss it dearly. Returning to Seattle is always difficult because it is hard to answer the question that so many ask, "how was the trip?" I can't even put into words how amazing the trip was but I will attempt to in the following paragraphs. I'll start by saying that I miss Tijuana more than anything right now- the culture, the organization, Victor, Eduardo, Monica, Kimber, Uriel, and Rigo (Esperanza Staff), each group member, the food, my co-leader Caitlin Terashima, and everything that symbolized this trip.

I remember it was 5 o'clock in the morning on Saturday, December 10, 2011, and so many thoughts and questions were running through my mind, "Is everyone going to make it on time?" "I can't believe this is happening!" "Is walking across the border going to work out?" "I can't wait to be back at the Posada!" "How did we even do this?!" I wasn't sure what to expect out of this trip and it still hadn't hit me that 20 of us were on our way to Tijuana, MX to share what I believed to be one of the most fulfilling week of my life.

Back in early 2011 Caitlin and I had tentative plans for a trip in December but we were both unsure if it was possible after hearing multiple opinions that doubted our ability to successfully plan this trip. We went back and forth, "Should we?" "Can we?" and so many "What ifs?". Mid-April we made the decision to go with our instincts and begin the Mexico Service Trip 2011. From that point on we couldn't turn back; we invested time and energy, prospective members, and money into this trip and we didn't want to let anyone down. Long story short, the process of creating a group, fundraising, educating and getting individuals accross the border safely was quite the experience, a long but enjoyable and extremely rewarding experience.

On December 10, 2011 at 7:55 am, 18 of us boarded the plane and at that moment it finally hit me, this trip, something we all worked so hard for, was finally happening. Some of us were traveling to Tijuana for the first time, while others made multiple visits in the past. Nonetheless, no one knew what to expect, how the trip would turn out, and if the trip would be successful. One thing we did know, however, was that our group, known as the Mexico Service Trip 2011, raised over $12,000 and we couldn't be more ecstatic. I, along with many others, left Seattle for the San Ysidro Border full of determination, curiousity, love and faith, both in my group members and each person who showed support throughout the process.

Once we arrived safely at the Posada it was a breath of fresh air. It felt like being home and it was everything I remembered from the previous year, a beautiful living space, gardens, a play area and the warm sun. Thus began a week full of amazing experiences that would take days upon days to write.

Now, back in Seattle, I can't keep my mind off of Tijuana and all of the laughter, jokes, games, and community shared in Tijuana. Traveling Tijuana to Puerto Nuevo, the Esperanza Clinic, the Tortillaria, the Border, Casa Del Migrante, the Orphanage, and watching women make Bolsitas engaged us in the community and taught me many new things. Working with Rosa and her family, along with the neighbors, to lay the foundation of her house was incredible. Rosa said that she wishes she could give us as much as we have given her but she simply can't. I don't think she realized that she gave us more than any of us could have ever asked for. Her love and peace filled the work site and our hearts. If you ask me how my trip was, it was simply amazing, and I cannot wait to return. Someway, somehow, I will return and I hope many people will join me and experience what I know as Tijuana.


I look forward to blogging about more experiences in particular but for now here are just a few pictures that I believe capture the essence of this trip.

Sunday Morning Mass
 
The orphanage with all of the girls!


washing buckets after pouring cement

Rosa a La Fiesta!
At the work site digging trenches


headed to the work site
Members from last year's group at the house we worked on
Thank you to Rigo, Uriel, and Eduardo for helping Caitlin and I with everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment